- a framework for consistent annotation of grammar (parts of speech, morphological features, and syntactic dependencies) across different human languages.
- cross-linguistically consistent treebank annotation for many languages
- The annotation scheme is based on
- an evolution of (universal) Stanford dependencies
- Google universal part-of-speech tags (Petrov)
- the Interset interlingua for morphosyntactic tagsets (Zeman)
- provide a universal inventory of categories and guidelines to facilitate consistent annotation of similar constructions across languages, while allowing language-specific extensions when necessary.